Firstly a wonderful piece from Barbara Cassani, former head of Go Fly budget airline, where she shared some tips on success, para-phrased here:
It’s people that make a business fly....
- Break down the hierarchy
- Avoid double talk - Be open with staff.
- Encourage people to try things. Everyone makes mistakes but we reacted quickly and didn’t spend a lot of time pointing fingers or blaming people.
- Pick a good team of people and “not people who were like me”
- Recognise your own weaknesses and limitations and account for that.
- Make the time to visit employees, factories, shops or offices, schedule into diaries three months ahead.
- Say thanks to staff. It’s easy, cheap and makes a massive difference.
The other was my old shipmate and everybody's favourite business character, Richard Branson who said "Almost everything I've learned, I've learned by doing" - More support for experiential learning!
And Just for Fun ..... You may have seen the TV advert, but do visit: http://www.comparethemeerkat.com/